Monday 25 July 2011

I'm not a physicist but...

These two T-shirts are pretty awesome.  I got them from my Mum who recently got back from a course for secondary physics teachers in Switzerland at CERN (where the Large Hadron Collider is)

This is the first page of proposal that was presented to CERN for the world wide web (not the Internet that was a military thing) by Tim Berners-Lee in 1989 his boss wrote on the proposal:
In December 1990 he had produced the first browser and server and  we all know what that has led to.

The worlds first web address has more information.

This T-shirt has the equations to that explain what we know about particles and forces in the universe.
Th first line describes the forces of electricity, magnetism and strong and weak nuclear forces. The second line describes how these forces act on particles such as quarks and leptons. The third line describes how the Higgs boson allows these particles to obtain their masses from it, and the fourth line allows the Higgs boson to do this.
The sleeve has the CERN logo in it.

I don't understand any of this and was just quoting from the little card that came with it. I just think it looks interesting and if I can sound semi-competent when explaining it there's an immediate boost to my "clever" rating.  Which is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment