Saturday 12 July 2014

Who's for some LEGO?

Who wants to listen to me talk about Lego?
I do, so I suppose you'll just have to deal with it.

Let me just begin with saying I fucking love lego.

I'm not joking here, I don't think  there's been a time where I haven't loved lego. There's been times when I didn't have my own money or sufficient pester power to acquire it (because it's bloody expensive) but I've never looked at it and gone; nah.

A couple of summers ago I has some money saved up and was on a serious avengers kick. Amazon thew up some of the smaller Lego sets in my recommendations and further prodding about turned up some of the bigger sets. Long story short, I ended up in possession of two sets: the huge Quinjet set and the much smaller set of Captain America's Avenging Cycle because what are the avengers without Cap? (he didn't come with the Quinjet).
These two images are approximately to scale with the size difference of the boxes.

The huge box that arrived had my family's interest immediately especially as I refused to let them see what was in it (this was actually necessary as my mum loves lego as much as if not more than me and while my sister is not as enthusiastic she still won't say no to it). Almost the entire assembly process happened with me hiding up in my bedroom to keep it my project (seriously, I once ended up sitting behind a door to hold it shut preventing my mum from taking lego away from me and building it herself). I put together the Avenging Cycle set first as it was so tiny and you know, Cap is the First Avenger so it's only right to assemble (heh) him first.

I decided to ration the Quinjet build to get the most enjoyment out of it as possible. This was made possible by the fact it came pre-divided into five stages, with the bricks separated into bags for each stage with their own instruction booklet.

I didn't take any pictures of the build because I didn't think I would be posting about it and I don't really want to separate it out and build it again at this moment in time but here's a few of it completed


Top view
Side view
Front view with the cockpit and passenger area opened up
Passenger area, there's space for two with some displays.
If you look in the top left hand corner you'll see the fire extinguisher I mentioned earlier.
Top view from the back showing the top door into the rear space of the jet.
Back views with the ramp up and down into the rear space.


As the quinjet only came with the minifigures for the Black Widow, Iron Man, Thor and Loki and I got Captain America in his own set (both sets had two Chitauri in each also but I don't count them) but I was still missing The Hulk/Bruce Banner and Hawkeye. I looked at
the minifigures for the Hulk but what I really wanted the one that was the one that was proportionally accurate to the actual Hulk. The only problem with this is that it only was produced as part of another large set and as such is grossly overpriced to buy on it's own (approximately 50% of the price of the full set) eBay netted me one for about 35% of the set's price (I'm not saying an exact price but I was happy with what I paid for it). Hawkeye in comparison cost pennies and practically fell into my lap and came with extra things like handcuffs (promptly put on Loki after confiscating his staff/sceptre), binoculars, a walkie talkie and a fire extinguisher (a little additional design point that has really impressed me with the Marvel lego sets as there was also one on the Quinjet). I also ended up buying the minibuild set of the Quinjet as the full sized one was just too big to keep in my student flat and I also didn't want to transport it across country. 
Quinjet minibuild. Pretty accurate I think.

Avengers Assemble! (finally)

No comments:

Post a Comment